Wednesday, August 27, 2008

DAY 1 personal pharaohs [DEFINING OUR TERMS]

exodus 20.3

#1 Idol doesn't have to be something material. It can be a feeling, prospective, a motivation (thats a big one).

#2 I'm not even sure..."professed", pronounced? functional; what works for us at the expense of something or others.

#3 "Functional". Something that worked for us. Works for our desires, what convenient. Examples...media, all the advice you need only a click away - (all from a scewed prospective), MySpace maybe? Not really sure.

#4 For me, I guess it would be the image of what I believe my body should look like. It governs my choices, from there; my wardrobe, and to what I believe my worth should be when I don't mirror that image. A guy; everything in me wanted to see him again. I wanted company, I wanted to be beautiful to someone, to know that I was worth something to someone.

Exodus 20.1-6

#5 He is "...a jealous God...'

#6 He loves us. I honestly would hope that my lover would be jealous for my attention and service.

#7 Other than the fact that He is God and God alone and there is no other? The children of Israel had just come out of the house of bondage where many gods was the norm. He wanted them to know that, 'No, it wasn't ok and that Egypt's gods didn't save her.' But also if we can get the first one who kinda got a good chunk of the others taken care of.

#8 Worshiping God and serving idols that was big. It made sense though. And a "functional god", that whole thought was kinda daunting.

This isn't going to be easy; I have several seasons worth of weeding and rooting out to do and I'm a little overwhelmed on where in the world to start. But it's a small step maybe somewhere and someday I'll stay caught up. Wishful thinking maybe, a goal; gotta start somewhere, so lets start here.

No comments: